The gas leak detector is one tool that inspectors may want to have in their tool bag, but not without some controversy. Some inspectors feel their nose is the best detector, some rely on soapy water to find the gas leak. Consider reading this if you want to know if you should be using a gas leak detector during your inspections. But other inspectors may want to quantify their findings with a tool. Enter the gas leak detector.
We searched the inspector groups for comments about gas leak detectors to get a sense of what the most recommended gas leak detectors are. Of course, these devices can range from under $100 to over $1000 for professional grade devices that utility workers rely on. There were only a few gas leak detectors that really stood out as a reliable tool for the home inspector to put in their tool bag.
Below are the most recommended gas leak detectors that we found home inspectors seem to rely on. These are in no particular order of recommendations. As always, your own due diligence.
TIF 8900 – The TIF Instruments TIF8900 Handheld Combustible Gas Detector is a handheld combustive gas detector designed to rapidly detect gas using its innovative solid-state sensor technology. The TIF8900 is ideal for pinpointing known leaks, checking for leaks, and verifying safety of potentially hazardous locations.
- Sensitivity as low as 5ppm
- Audible Geiger counter signal
- LED leak intensity lights
- Flexible 16” stainless steel probe.
Klein Tools ET120 – The ET120 is an easy-to-use tester that provides audible and visual alarms in the presence of methane, propane and other combustible gases at concentrations as low as 50 ppm.
- Detection range: Approximately 50 to 10,000 ppm* (*based on Methane)
- Two levels of sensitivity: High (approximately 50 to 1000 ppm) and Low (approximately 1000 to 10,000 ppm)
- Five red LED’s (visual) and 85dB audible alerts that increase with gas concentration
- Automatic zero-point calibration at power-up (lights will flash during self-calibration; this does not indicate the presence of gas)
- 18-Inch flexible gooseneck expands sensor’s reach; clips onto meter for storage
- Over-molded body for comfortable grip
- Auto power-off after 10 minutes of non-usage conserves battery life
- Includes detector, 4xAAA batteries, instruction manual and storage pouch
Sensit Gold G2 – This instrument can be used for inert gas operations to detect combustible gases in oxygen-free environments. It can be configured for combustible gas readings in PPM, LEL as well as a variety of toxic gases and oxygen.
- Bright Graphic Display
- LED Warning Lights
- Loud Audible Alarm
- Internal Pump – Fast Sampling
- Digital “Tick” Control
- Lowest Cost, Long Life Sensors
- Data Logging and Internal Memory
- Exceptional Water Protection
Models start at ~$1250
Amprobe GSD600 – The Amprobe GSD600 Gas Leak Detector is a fast responding gas leak detector for methane and propane gas. The meter emits a frequency tone when gas is detected. The frequency of the beep coincides with the concentration of the gas. The LEDs display the level of gas present in an area or room.
- Detects methane and propane gas
- Quickly identifies and pinpoints gas leaks
- Automatic calibration feature
- 5 level LED alarm: >40, >80, >160, >320, and >640 ppm
- Built-in earphone jack with mute function (earphone not included)
- Flexible probe to access difficult measurement areas
- Auto power off
Sensorcon Inspector – Portable Carbon Monoxide sensor is professional-grade and is great for around the house and on-the job usage. From home inspectors to firefighters, the Inspector will help you get the job done. The advanced sensor technology allows for accurate readings of carbon monoxide concentrations. This model features audio, visual, and vibration alarms.
- Portable and lightweight
- Alarm with visual, audio and, vibration feedback
- Certified Intrinsically Safe
- User-friendly interface
- Water-resistant and shock-resistant
- Battery life up to 2 years
Forensics Detectives – This gas detector features an advanced microprocessor, high-resolution LCD for ACCURATE: Sensor made in Japan, very sensitive with ppm (0 – 10,000 ppm) or umol/mol concentration display. Comes FACTORY-CALIBRATED. Turn ON and GO.
- ALARMS: Adjustable audio, visual, and vibration alarms alert when preset levels are reached.
- COLOR DISPLAY: Large, color, LCD screen with temperature and humidity. Shockproof, water-resistant, dustproof, and explosion-proof.
- TRUSTWORTHY: ** 1-year limited warranty ** Arrives with calibration and QA certificates ** Product tested and verified in the USA ** 100% quality guaranteed **
UEi Test Instruments CD100A Combustible Gas Leak Detector – COMPREHENSIVE GAS DETECTION: This handheld gas detector is capable of detecting acetone, ammonia, butane, methane, natural gas, LPG, Jet fuel. Great detector for any residential or commercial needs. Highly rated.